Summer is upon us, which means that oceans and harbors are soon going to be filled with jet skis, boats, and other watercrafts. While riding a jet ski is a staple of summer fun in NYC, there are inherent risks involved. It’s not uncommon for people to ride under the influence, and novice riders pose another element of risk to others on the water. If you or someone you know has been involved in a jet ski accident, it’s important to know your legal options by contacting your experienced NYC Personal Accident Attorney. Here’s what you need to do if you have been involved in a jet ski accident:
What Are the Important First Steps to Take After an Accident?
- Check for injuries: The most obvious first step is to ensure everyone is okay and evaluate the damage done. If you’re lucky, only minor property damage will be sustained to the jet ski itself. However, more serious accidents involve minor or traumatic injuries to the people riding them. Injured parties should get to shore and seek medical attention immediately.
- Notify authorities: If necessary, notify police and other local authorities of the accident. It’s important to do this as soon as you’re able to relay facts regarding the incident, who was injured, and what was damaged.
- Never admit fault: If you were the cause of the accident, do not admit fault on the spot. Accidents can happen quickly, and the facts could affect your ability to file a lawsuit in court. Instead, wait to speak with your accident attorney before admitting fault or moving forward with proving you were innocent in the accident.
- Pinpoint the cause of the accident: In a previous blog, we discussed the common causes of jet ski accidents. Sometimes, faulty design can be the cause of injury or even death. For example, we are currently representing a woman whose genitals were ruptured due to a faulty jet ski engine design. With vaccinations come a return to normal and a desire to get out and celebrate. Crowds and alcohol especially when motorized vehicles are involved are a recipe for accidents. Even last year, crowded waters in NYC resulted in 2 deaths. Determining what caused the accident and who is at fault is critical for bringing your case to an NYC personal accident attorney.
- Contact your personal injury attorney: Accidents happen on the water, but you shouldn’t be held responsible for your medical bills. An experienced lawyer can fight for the monetary damages you’re entitled to after suffering a jet ski accident.
Contacting an NYC Accident Lawyer
At the law offices of Ronemus & Vilensky, we will go the extra mile to win the damages and financial compensation you deserve. We know it can be a stressful and overwhelming situation, and we’re here to help. If you or someone you love has been injured or killed in a jet ski accident, contact us today by calling 212-779-7070, or filling out our free, no-obligation quote form today.